To Enable, Collaborate, Educate, and Facilitate student initiated translation of Health Matters
The Health Commercialization Awards are a Faculty of Medicine and the UofT Campus Linked Accelerator initiative to celebrate and support student innovations on Health Matters. Applications will be evaluated and six student Project Proposals will be selected to Pitch their Entrepreneurial Ideas on October 19th for three Student Entrepreneurial Fellowships of $5,000 each.
Application Guidelines & Rules
The Applicant must be:
- Current University of Toronto student;
- At least one member of the team is under the age of 29.
Deadline for submission has been extended to October 14th. Candidates must apply online with the following information:
Candidates must apply online providing the following:
- List of other students/faculty involved;
- Role and Academic affiliation of applicant;
- Name of Potential Faculty Mentor, though no letter of support is required
(If awarded the Commercialization Award and Student Fellowship, students are required to secure a faculty mentor who is affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine to supervise the fellowship)
- Project description (up to 400words) including:
- Project summary;
- Milestones & goals;
- Health / Medical need
Finalist to participate in the Pitch competition will be informed on October 17th
Proposals will be evaluated on commercialization/translation potential including (but not limited to) the following criteria:
- Identified Health / Medical need;
- Scientific basis for design solution;
- Novelty, complexity, risk & feasibility;
- Work plan, milestones, deliverables & decision points;
- Knowledge transfer plan; and
- Health Impact / Market Potential.
Development activities may include (but are not limited to):
- Refining and implementing designs;
- Testing / evaluating application;
- Market studies;
- Preparing demonstrations;
- Building prototypes; and
- Performing beta trials.
The Pitch Competition
Applications will be evaluated and six projects will be selected to participate in a Pitch Competition on October 19th (time TBA), for a chance to receive one of three $5000 Student Fellowships to further develop your ideas.
The six proposals invited to The Pitch session will be notified by e-mail on October 14th and be given the opportunity to meet with a Pitch Trainer (on October 17 or 18) to help refine and facilitate the pitch for the competition.
Three proposals will be selected at The Pitch Competition by a panel of invited judges from the Faculty of Medicine and Industry.
Student Entrepreneurial Fellowship
- Three Commercialization Award recipients will be awarded $5000 each, and participate in a one year Student Entrepreneurial Fellowship with the Health Innovation Hub (H2i)
- Students are required to secure a faculty mentor affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine to supervise the fellowship. This potential Mentor should be indicated in the application
- Entrepreneurial student innovations in Health Matters is defined as any health related projected affiliated with a department, extradepartmental unit, UofT/TAHSN community partner with the Faculty of Medicine, which is targeted towards effect and efficient student driven translation of research discoveries
- One students in the team must be aged 29 or younger and registered at the University of Toronto
For further information or questions: email@example.com or 416-978-4474